19 мая 2006

spirits in the high church

Been listening to Albert Ayler's "Love Cry" tonight. What amazing work. Recorded in 1968, Ayler comes second to nobody. Of course there is Coltrane, Pharoah, and Coleman to contend with. But Ayler is in a class unto himself because it is the sound of a student playing with the weight, violence, and joy of a youthful spirit giving back that which was given to him.

From an interview with Ayler the day of Coltrane's funeral, Ayler explains, "I would say when I was in the army, in 1960 and '61, when I spent two years training, when I first started playing, I had a thing that was free at that time, you know? But when (Coltrane) started playing, I had to listen...just to his tone you understand? To listen...to him play was just like he was talking to me, saying, 'brother, get yourself together spiritually.' Just one sound--that's how profound this man was."

There are quite a few Ayler recordings, and I find them all great. Play them loud. Fury sounds better when it is loud. Check out this bio