30 октября 2006

Mairead Byrne

It has come to my attention through The Square of the Hypotenuse that I must pay attention to the work of Mairead Byrne. Her work includes Nelson & The Huruburu Bird , a chapbook titled An Educated Heart, and the ebook China Dogs. From a not so thorough glean I notice she's funny. She's Saarcastic. She's traditional. She's avant garde. And she has a sense of truth in her writing that allows this reader to see that behind the wit there is an immense respect for what is sacred. Reading her work is entirely too enjoyable: like candy, or watching someone fall down on the ice.

Her blog is what I am currently looking at thanks to the suggestion of King Coffey and his ultimate and dynamic hair.


[From an interview we can see Mairead Byrne as a true visionary:

6) What is your favorite food?
Guinness.

7) Sports Team? or Activity?
Driving in Providence.

8) Vacation spot?
Galway.

9) Curse word?
Would you ever / Shut the fuck up. It’s not really a question.]


Being newly introduced to her work, I will give you my favorite poem so far. The blog I am using might not allow for the proper line breaks, so I apologize to the poet right now. The words are intact just the same:

When You Kiss The World

in a poem

you take its long throat

& fuck

so deep

you come

out

laughing

straight up

into

the bright face

of

God


© Mairead Byrne

2 Comments:

Blogger Chelsea said...

Thanks for posting poetry. I miss words. Good words, mainly, are the ones I miss.

See? I stopped by like you said!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Chugs Vollman said...

Thanks for reading. Check out her blog, i think you will like it. Seems to be updated frequently.

12:26 PM  

Отправить комментарий

<< Home